Fall = apple and pumpkin desserts.
A classic dessert is apple pie, but like the rest of America I have become obsessed with salted caramel. So why not combine apple pie and salted caramel for the ultimate apple pie experience? Pretty genius.
I also wanted to make a dessert that would be easy to store and quick to grab when I am craving something sweet throughout the week. I have seen recipes for hand pies floating around on the internet and I did not want to go through the rigmarole of making homemade pie crusts. I know, I know call me lazy. I am guilty of it. Normally, I do make my own pie crusts, but it was Sunday and I wanted to make this dessert as pain-free as possible.
Using store bought pie crusts saves time and energy, which is a win-win in my book. Feel free to make your own pie crust if you would like–this recipe calls for two pie crusts if you choose to make your own. I also prefer to use caramel bits instead of the wrapped individual caramel squares you may find in the baking aisle. The caramel bits are already small and unwrapped, which saves additional time when you are making this dessert.
The caramel will melt into the apple pie filling and the sea salt will be a great contrast to the sweetness of pie. These salted caramel apple mini pies are great to have on hand as a snack or dessert and you can easily bring them to work or a gathering with friends as a treat.
Indulge a bit the next time you are craving apple pie and add a little caramel and sea salt to your recipe. You won’t regret it.
Recipe adapted from Just A Taste’s Salted Caramel Apple Hand Pies.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 14 mini-pies
2 Pillsbury Pie Crusts
2 small Granny Smith apples
juice of 1/2 a lemon
1/8 C granulated sugar, extra for sprinkling
1/8 C brown sugar
2 t cinnamon
2 t all purpose flour
1 t course ground sea salt
1/3 C caramel bits
- Preheat oven to 425 F and line cookie sheet with silicone baking mat or parchment paper. Remove the pie crusts from the refrigerator so they are easier to work with.
- Peel and core your apples. Dice the apples into small cubes (~the size of your pinky nail). Place in medium mixing bowl.
- Add juice of half a lemon, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, and flour. Mix well.
- Unroll your pie crusts onto a floured surface. Using a cup with a 3-inch diameter, punch out circles from the pie crust. Gather the remaining scraps of pie crust and knead to form another ball of dough, flatten with rolling pin so that the pie crust is the same thickness as the previously cut out dough, punch out more circles. (Note: You should have enough dough for 28 circles = 14 mini pies)
- Spoon 1 heaping tsp of the apple mixture into the center of half the pie crust circles. Make sure you leave a border around the circumference of the crust so that you can seal it later. Add 4-5 caramel bits and a pinch of sea salt on top of the apple mixture.
- Slightly stretch another pie crust round and place over the piece with the pie filling. Using a fork, firmly press down with the tongs around the perimeter of each pie round, sealing the edges closed.
- Brush each mini pie with the egg whites. Using a sharp knife, slice two slits on the top of each pie. Sprinkle the top of each pie with a pinch of granulated sugar.
- Transfer 7 pies to cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and transfer pies onto a cooling rack.
- Place remaining pies onto the cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool
- Enjoy the pies warm or cold. Optional: serve with a side of vanilla ice cream.