If you haven’t caught on by now I enjoy cooking with bacon, balsamic, and sweet potatoes. A co-worker of mine once told me that the trick to making the best potato salad is adding bacon grease. FYI adding bacon grease to anything, pretty much makes it the best “fill-in-the-blank” ever. My college town of Madison, WI even had an infamous bacon night at a local bar. Yes, we were served free, fried bacon with the purchase of a PBR tall boy. How Wisconsin can you get?
The fact that it is fall in the PNW means even more yummy veggies that I can roast. Brussels sprouts are a great vegetable that you can roast, steam, or pan fry. I prefer to roast my produce because a) the apartment smells fantastic b) I love when the vegetables get caramelized. Something I have never understood is why there is such a stigma for brussels sprouts? Pretty much every movie or tv show growing up always had kids begging not to eat brussels sprouts. I bet if the brussels sprouts had been smothered in bacon grease, roasted, and drizzled with a balsamic glaze, those child actors from my youth would be BEGGING for a bite.
ADDED BONUS: This is an easy recipe because the sweet potatoes and brussels sprouts roast for the same duration. It’s a one pan dish essentially and since I always line my baking pans with aluminum foil…clean up is a breeze. Oh yeah the deal just got sweeter.
After we devoured dinner, I had the idea that the next time I make this side it might be fun to add a burst of fresh, fruity flavor and sprinkle some pomegranate seeds into the mix. Perfect for the holiday season and can you imagine how pretty those pictures would be??? I will keep you all posted if I try this variation and what the outcome is!
P.s. This dish was so delicious that I did not do it justice with the pictures. I just wanted to enjoy it–I will try and post some better photos soon, but at least you know that it was just that good I could not even pause to get artsy with the camera ;)
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
1 large sweet potato
15-20 brussels sprouts
3 pieces of bacon
1 T coconut oil, melted
1 sprig of rosemary, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
sea salt and cracked pepper to taste
2 T balsamic glaze
- Preheat the oven to 425 F and line large baking pan with aluminum foil.
- Pan-fry bacon according to package. Set bacon aside on paper towel to absorb extra grease and reserve bacon grease that is in the pan.
- Prepare the veggies: rinse the brussels sprouts, remove the stem and cut in half lengthwise; rinse the sweet potato and cube into pieces similar in size to the brussels sprouts. Place veggies in a large mixing bowl. Add the bacon grease, coconut oil, rosemary, salt and pepper to the bowl. Mix until veggies are coated evenly.
- Transfer veggies to baking pan and roast for 15 minutes. Remove from oven flip brussels sprouts and potatoes over, sprinkle was garlic and continue roasting for an additional 15 minutes.
- Transfer roasted veggies to a serving bowl. Chop bacon and sprinkle on top, then drizzle with balsamic glaze. Serve warm.