The season of holiday parties and getaways is officially underway! We just came back from an amazing beachside cabin escape at Camano Island. Picture an evening full of bonfires, charades, eagle scouts, champagne, beer, chips n dip, frozen pizzas, AND ugly Christmas sweaters.
How is it that December is always so full of social gatherings and junking out?!?! I’m not complaining, but I was definitely in the mood for a cleansing meal today.
I love melding different cultures together when I experiment in the kitchen. Enter this asian fusion, hearty, vegan stew. The chili paste, curry, coconut milk, and fresh ginger provide a sinfully delicious asian flare to this take on a veggie and quinoa stew.
I threw in the veggies I had on hand: mushrooms, peppers, onions, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, and parsnips. This coconut and curry broth would taste divine with a large variety of produce. Think about your favorite curry dishes and pull in any additional veggies ;)
As an added source of nutrition I finished off the stew with some quinoa. Quinoa has been called a superfood. It is packed with protein, calcium, fiber, phosphorous, iron, and magnesium. For this reason, this grain-like food is great for vegans (and us non-vegans too).
Seriously, this stew is the bomb dot com and it makes for great leftovers!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
1 T coconut oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 red onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 sweet potato, peeled and cubed
1 large parsnip, peeled and sliced (1/4-inch thick)
1 large carrot, peeled and sliced (1/4-inch thick)
1/2 t red pepper flakes
1 heaping tsp chili paste
1 heaping tsp raw minced ginger
2 oz red curry paste
14 oz light coconut milk
4 C water + vegetable bouillon cube (32 oz veggie stock alternatively)
1/8 C granulated sugar
1 roma tomato, diced
8 oz crimini mushroom, rinsed and sliced (1/4-inch thick)
1 C quinoa (I used a mixture of red and white quinoa)
salt and pepper to taste
Optional garnish: fresh cilantro
- Preheat a dutch oven or large stock pot over medium-high heat. Add coconut oil to pot once warm.
- Cook onion, garlic, and pepper in pot until onion is translucent (~3 minutes). Add carrot, parsnip, sweet potato and cook an additional 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add all the remaining ingredients, except the quinoa. Stir, replace lid on pot, and bring to a boil (5-10 minutes).
- Then add the quinoa and reduce the pot to medium-low heat, replace lid, simmer an additional 15-20 minutes until quinoa is cooked.
- Serve warm with freshly chopped cilantro.