I am guilty of the girlfriend group text. I have four friends from my gym that are all part of this group text and it is hard to keep up. We all have busy lives, but somehow I always feel like I look at my phone and there are 50(+) new texts in our group chat. Has anyone else felt hostage to a group chat?!?! I mean it is addicting and you don’t want to miss out on the conversation. I usually use my 30-minute walk home from work to catch up on the group text. It’s awesome how close all of us have become, despite our completely different careers, unique interests, and diverse backgrounds. I am thankful for my local gym Rival Fitness for providing the foundation for our friendship :)
Today, one of the girls in the text suggested each of us sharing a few recipes that are in our weekly rotation so we could all try something new. You know my inner foodie and food blogger perked up at this text. I try to create and post recipes that are easily integrated into the working (wo)man’s life. Can I get an amen for simple, delicious, nutritious meals?!?!
Traditional, boring pork loin roast. Blah, not in my kitchen. Pork is such a tricky protein, since it can dry out easily if you over cook it. This slow cooker dish is anything but boring and your taste buds will be thankful for the explosion of flavors. Best of all it’s easy and makes great left overs for the work week. I threw the ingredients in the slow-cooker when I came home from work. I came home from the gym and voila the apartment smelled fantastic and dinner was ready in 10 minutes.
Andrew, literally thanked me for thinking ahead and having dinner ready on our drive home from TRX class. Nobody has time for a hangry (angry because he’s hungry) boyfriend.
I kept things healthy and served the carnitas over a farro-quinoa mix and topped it with fresh cilantro, onion, avocado, and some of the marinade from the slow cooker. No one was hangry in our house tonight ;)
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 3 to 4 hours on high, 6-8 hours on low
2 lb pork loin
1 T ground cumin
1 t chili powder
1/2 red onion, diced (alternatively yellow or white onion)
1/3 C jalapeno slices (alternatively 1 jalapeno or serrano, sliced)
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 cinnamon stick
1/2 C orange juice (alternatively juice of one orange)
juice of 1/2 a lemon
salt and pepper
1 T coconut oil (alternatively vegetable oil)
- Rinse and dry the pork loin. Season generously with salt and black pepper on all sides.
- In a bowl combine the cumin and chili powder. Massage all sides of pork loin with dry rub. Place pork loin in slow cooker.
- Top pork loin with onions, garlic, and jalapeno slices. Place cinnamon stick in slow cooker and pour orange andlemon juice over meat. Place the lemon half in slow cooker too. (Note: If using fresh orange, place orange halves in slow cooker too)
- Cook for 3 to 4 hours on high setting or 6 to 8 hours on low setting. Slice pork loin in half to check if done.
- Remove pork loin from slow cooker and shred with fork.
- Add oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Transfer carnitas to skillet and press firmly with spatula, cooking for 2-3 minutes until crispy on one side.
- Serve in tacos or over your favorite cooked grain. Garnish with fresh cilantro, onion, avocado, cotija cheese, jalapeno slices, lime juice, or marinade from crock pot.